Friday, May 13, 2011

First Morel of 2011

After a long weekend working, I picked the least likely day of the week for rain to go hunting for morels. I found garlic mustard, honeysuckle, buckthorn, winged burning bush, dandelions, raspberry canes, trout lilies, wood violets, yellow violets, unidentified yellow flowers, May apples, turkey vulture feathers, one turkey feather, remains of a deer, and finally three small morel mushrooms.

It was a gorgeous day to be in the woods, sunny and warm. I crossed the stream at the log pile and climbed up the bluff. I saw a small wood pecker, large wood pecker holes, Cardinals, a pair of Mallards, three Wood ducks (I think), and while I was crossing the logs, two Turkey Vultures started circling above. They left once they were sure I could make it. I didn't get my feet wet until I crossed back and chose to just walk through the creek. The cool water felt so nice by then.

Maybe, we'll find more mushrooms this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment